1. What is the American Dream? How does Gatsby represent this dream?
2. Has the American Dream changed since Gatsby’s time?
3. How do you compare Gatsby’s social class with Tom and Daisy Buchanan?
4. What part of his past is Gatsby trying to recapture? Do you think he was successful?
5. What is the meaning of the title? In what way is Gatsby great?
6. Why do you think Nick became involved with Jordan? Do you think they were even involve?
7. Some people thins that having money leads to happiness, Do you agree?
8. What are the advantages or disadvantages of being wealthy?
9. Nick starts the novel by relaying his father’s advice “Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had”. Why do you think the author started the book this way?
10. What image does the author use to describe Jordan? What role does she play.
11. What does Tom’s behavior reveal about his character?
12. Describe Mr. Wilson and Myrtle. How would you describe their marriage?
13. What do you about the violent act Tom committed against Myrtle? How would you describe their relationship?
14. How is Gatsby different from his party guests?
15. Why did Gatsby want Daisy to see his house?
16. Why did Gatsby receive so many phone calls?
17. When Nick told Gatsby that “you can’t repeat the past”, Gatsby replied, “Why of course you can!”. Do you agree with Nick of Gatsby?
18. How would you describe Daisy and Tom’s marriage?
19. How would you describe Daisy and Gatsby’s relationship?
20. What do you think about the fight between Tom and Gatsby in the hotel?
21. Do you think Tom knew Daisy was driving the “death car”?
22. Why do you think Nick took care of Gatsby’s funeral?
23. Why did no one want to attend Gatsby’s funeral?
24. Why do you think Tom and Daisy left after the accident?
25. Why does Nick call Tom and Daisy “careless people”?
26. Why do you think Mr. Wilson committed that terrible act?
27. Nick is both part of the action and acting as an objective commentator. Does this narration style work?
28. How did the author use weather to reflect the mood of the story?
29. What do you think give this book its longevity? What makes “The Great Gatsby” a classic novel?
Please feel free to throw in any questions of your own !